Monday, December 14, 2009

Black Santa

Okay, okay. I know that my last post was in April. I'm not a very successful blogger it would seem. Thank you to my three followers that have been nagging me to write something else; you make me feel like someone actually cares about what I have say on here.

I've been in a funk. I've been waiting for something to happen to snap me out of my haze--something that I just HAD to blog about. And it finally happened. And it is irresistable. So here you go:

I've been troubled by the Santa thing this year. I don't know how other adults feel about this, but I don't really like lying to my kids about the existence of Santa. It is the only lie that I tell my children--and for some reason I feel like participation in this enormous ruse is mandatory. I don't know anyone that says, "You know, our family is going to opt out of the Santa thing and just tell the kids from the start that he isn't real." I think other parents would be horrified: "You are ruining the magic of Christmas!!" I haven't decided if this is true or not, so for now the default answer is just to participate.

I started to be really bothered by Santa several weeks ago when Cora said to me, "Mom, so are Jesus and Santa basically the same person?" As a deeply Christian person, I was troubled by this question and wanted to help her understand the difference between Jesus, who is the Savior of the world, the person responsible for her salvation, and Santa, a mythical character born out of legend and clever marketing schemes.

So following her question an emphatic, "No!" burst from my mouth, which was about the be followed by "because Jesus is real and Santa isn't!" But I stopped. I forgot. I couldn't fully utilize the teaching moment in the way I wanted to because Cora still believes in Santa. (Or so I think.) So I mumbled something about how Santa's purpose is to help us remember Jesus. Santa is to help us to remember to be generous and blah blah blah.

I don't really believe that Santa's purpose is to help us remember Jesus--because a huge part of me thinks that Santa and his big belly are symbolic of the rampant consumerism and greediness that are completely opposite of what the Lord taught us with his life and his birth. Plus, I am troubled by the haziness created by mixing up Santa with Jesus. I've had a few non-believers make smug comments to me in my life about how I'll figure it out soon enough--as though as one matures one discovers that Jesus is just as fake as Santa is. I guess it shouldn't be a big surprise that there are so many cynics in the world today--with Santa and Jesus all mixed up in the same Christmas pot it does get hard to see truth from fiction. So at some point I guess it is easier just to decide it is all fiction.

But despite my conflicted feelings, I still participate in all of it. I have my tree up, my snowman stockings are hung, and I have indulged as much as our budget would allow in the rampant consumerism I was decrying in the last paragraph. And although internally my relationship with Santa is rather bittersweet, every year we take our girls to sit on his lap, ask for a gift, and get their pictures taken.

And this is where it gets interesting this year.

We always go to see Santa at the Nordstrom in downtown Seattle. You have to wait in line for hours, but they give you crayons and pictures to color, and they have free cookies and cider. The photographer is good. We already have three years of pictures lined up on our piano with Santa and the background the same, and our girls changing, growing, and aging in the pictures. I like this tradition because it gives me an opportunity to document our lives.

On Saturday night we decided on a whim to go and do the Santa thing. We put the girls in dresses, curled their hair, loaded them up in the car and drove all the way into Seattle. We jumped out of the car and raced to the end of the line, which was long enough to be out the doors and running along the large display window that Nordstrom converts into Santa's living room every year. We just made it before the 8 pm cutoff. I breathed a sigh of relief and turned to have a look at Santa.

Santa was black.

As luck would have it, we had hit African American Santa Night.

I expected the questions to come right away, but they didn't. No the girls just stared through the display window, puzzled. They were trying to put this one together on thier own.

They liked this Santa. He was very friendly and waved at them. He even got up and showed off some of this dance moves, and Cora laughed and laughed as he did the robot. The black Santa had soul.

Finally, Sydney couldn't stand it anymore. "Mom, why does Santa have dark skin?"

"Well . . ." I said, choosing my words carefully, "I think that maybe this is one of Santa's helpers." That satisfied Sydney, because she was eager to be satisfied. She likes believing.

Cora never asked about it. Cora, who is already a perceptive child, had just been told by our red-headed neighbor Allison that Santa didn't come last year and she instead caught her parents putting presents under the tree. I think that the black Santa might have been the final confirmation that Cora needed for the truth she already suspected. But I'm not sure that she is quite ready yet to admit she doesn't believe. And I'm not sure that I'm ready for her to admit it either, even though I will be really relieved when she does.

As for Maryn, she barely noticed Santa and whether he was black or white, blue or green. She was all about the candy cane and the rocking horse she got to sit on for the picture, which she dubbed a rocking "cow."

I am grateful for the black Santa. I think he allowed me the opportunity to be honest about my lie, without ruining the magic. I think he allowed everyone in the family to experience Santa in the way that they needed to this year.

So, what the heck . . . Ho, ho, ho. Merry Christmas!

6 comments:

  1. I was just talking about this same subject with Ryan. I don't understand why we tell our kids there is a Santa. Once they find out the truth, won't we "look bad" as we have been lying to them their whole life. Not such a good example. Ryan just goes with the flow and doesn't think too much about it. We do the Santa Pics also, but I tell my kids up front, that it is not the "real" Santa and they don't seem to even care. It is more of a tradition so I can look at the pics every year. I am not a good actor (or liar) so I bring up the Santa subject as little as possible and Christmas morning is brutal for me sometimes. I know Paige still believes. She asked for a Wii for Christmas and I told her it just wasn't going to happen this year. She told me that Santa could just bring it and then it wouldn't cost anything. Sometimes I wish that were true :) Don't forget the Easter Bunny and the Tooth Fairy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this Heather. And I love your writing, and your girls. Keep up on this blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heather - as always, I am totally smitten with your blog. I can completely understand your connundrum and am anxious to see what we will discover and determine should we ever have kids. My parents broke the santa story to us pretty early on and, once they embraced Christinity in their lives (which wasn't long after the santa story break), they quickly opted out of the rampant consumerism (I'm sure the close cousin of the Wedding Industrial Complex!) and I've always been thankful for it. - for what it's worth. :)

    sidenote - our way of opting out of the rampant consumerism this year (with my immediate family) was to draw names and then keep the spending lower than $25 with a emphasis on homemade & recyling and I think we have ALL enjoyed this christmas more than ever! I'm more excited than I ever thought I would be to open gifts this year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, what a dilemma huh? Yea the dishonesty would really get to me too. Way to handle the situation! I'll have to figure out what I'm gonna tell my kids...

    I'm not a diligent blogger either, but you show that we can pick up our blogs whenever we want! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your favorite brother-in-law said...

    I used to check your blog all the time. Now I check it about once a month. It's about time!

    I've heard many people express reservations about the whole Santa thing. I'm glad to see that you're conscious of these social pressures; I suspect most people go along unquestioning. We'll make a skeptic of you yet. I'm not sure if children view their parents as liars upon finding out. I never believed in Santa. But then, I never believed in Jesus, either. And I never really associated Christmas with religion. At any rate, I wouldn't be too worried about it. Children are surprisingly savy. Chances are Cora already knows you lie. I don't mean that in a bad way. It's an important part of social life and most of us lie without even realizing it ourselves.

    But you know me. I'm on atheist of principle. When I have kids I'll probably go along with many Christmas traditions, but I'll definitly be staight up with them on the Santa fraud (and a few others...).

    You were in my neighborhood on Saturday and you didn't stop by!!! I know someone who has a lump of coal in store.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am Heather's mom and I just can't let this go on without saying something. There is a good and kind part of believing if you look for it.
    When I was growing up, my Dad was Santa for the city of Pocatello, Idaho. My most cherished memories of the holidays were of him and the joy that I saw in children's eyes when they were near him.

    When I was in the 2nd grade, I was standing with my mom and sister on the sidewalk in downtown Pocatello, waiting for Santa to turn on the City Christmas lights. It was the day after Thanksgiving. No one turned their Christmas lights on or put their decorations out until after Thanksgiving. As Santa neared the switch on the side of the Bannock Hotel, my mom leaned down and whispered, "That's your dad," and pointed to Santa. I was so proud of him. I thought my heart would burst with love. My dad - Santa! Not many little girls can say that.
    For more than 30 years I watched with admiration as he lifted little children onto his lap and listened to their heartfelt wishes. He would always nod and say, "That is a nice choice. I will need to ok that with your mom and dad. If I can't bring that, is it ok if I bring you something else that I think you will like?" Every child nodded their head in agreement.

    He wasn't one of those cheesey Santa's with the plastic boots and the cheap suit and bad beard. He was the best Santa's helper in the whole world. He was so careful to glue on his beard and mustache each time. His custom suit was made of beautiful red wool and white fur. He had real boots. He always wore white gloves. As I watched him prepare for work, he took such care. He LOVED the children he would greet. His kind nature radiated around him. I saw a sweet transformation in his mannerisms and his demeanor. He became Santa.

    I will admit that my childhood memories are different than what I see in the world around me now, but I still believe in Santa. I believe in that part of him that bubbles up at this time of the year and reminds us of family, service, patience and hope. I guess it is all in the eye of the beholder. You see what you look for and I see an outpouring of love as people fill the shelves at our food bank; take tags from giving trees and buy gifts for total strangers; donate goods, services and cash to charities and those is need of a little help.

    My dad is now 78 and in less than perfect health. I am grateful to him for blessing me with the sweetest memories any child could ever dream of.

    Merry Christmas. God Bless Us One and All.

    ReplyDelete