Sunday, December 20, 2009

Fair Isn't Fair

I got a Christmas card from the City of Auburn on Friday, or rather, their version of a Christmas card which is actually a "Notice of Traffic Infraction."

As it turns out, I got pegged by one of those photo enforcement machines. I was speeding while driving through a school zone--36 in a 20. My infraction occurred at precisely 12:13 PM on December 10, 2009. They sent me full color photos of my car, and I can even view a video of the incident at http://www.photonotice.com/. The penalty for my transgression: $200.

I've decided that I don't like the photo enforcement machines. This is a new revelation, mostly brought on by the $200 fine. I don't think that the photo machines are fair--or rather, I think that they are too fair. All justice with no mercy. To me it seems that Justice, absent of her twin virtue Mercy, isn't just at all.

I guess I'm an old fashioned girl. I prefer the game of cat and mouse where the officers wait in their police cars, radar devices ready, waiting for some unsuspecting speeder to race by. Then the pomp and circumstance of the lights flashing, maybe even a siren. The heart of the guilty pumping as they pull over.

Then comes the all important moment--the moment that the photo machine has robbed me of--the fragile moment one has to persuade Mercy to overcome Justice. The delicate and fleeting moment that one has to weasel out of the ticket.

I'm certain that there are many ways to accomplish the weaseling. My technique involves being contrite, humble, and of a cheery disposition. I try to appeal to the officer's humanity by pointing out the honest reason for my speed, "the sun was out, I was listening to a great song, and I just didn't notice my speed . . . " or "I'm sorry; I truly wasn't aware the speed limit had been lowered here" or (and this is true and actually occurred) "I'm in labor."

But I didn't have my moment. I didn't get to humbly point out that the school zone lights weren't flashing and doesn't the 20 mph limit only apply at certain periods of the day? I have children myself (aren't they cute there in the back?) and I certainly understand how important it is to drive slowly through school zones to keep the little ones safe. I have definitely learned my lesson about paying closer attention. Oh, you are just going to give me a warning today? Thank you so much Officer.

There is no appealing to the humanity of photo enforcement machines.

So my next step was to call my attorney, aka, my husband.

"So if one were to get one of those photo tickets in the mail, can one just ignore them?"

"What happened?"

"Didn't you tell me that by responding you are admitting to the crime and if you just ignore it then it just goes away."

"No, I didn't tell you anything like that."

"Really? I could have sworn you said something along those lines."

"No."

"So . . . if one were to get one of those tickets, how would one get out of it?"

"I love that you think you can just get out of it."

Lame. Honestly, what good is a law degree if you can't help your wife get out of traffic tickets?

I am also bothered by one of the statments made on my Instruction Page: "As the registered owner or nominated driver of the vehicle described in this Notice, we have no choice but to hold you responsible for paying this fine." Really? No choice? Lies. They could have chosen to not issue this ticket. They could have thrown it in the garbage. When I read this it as if I can hear the little photo robot talking:

Have. No. Choice. Hold. You. Responsible. Pay. Fine.

It all seems kind of Orwellian--I really do feel like Big Brother is watching me.

I haven't given up yet. I could request a hearing. The problem is that I have no good legal argument. The fact of the matter is that I did commit this "infraction." And I have a feeling that my cheery disposition will not be very effective in Court.

But, never fear, I will think of something. I am as creative as I am stubborn. In the mean time, I will watch my speed. And so will Big Brother.

5 comments:

  1. As I recall, your "labor" incident also occurred in a school zone. I'm sensing a pattern of school zone law scoffage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shred it. My attorney told me that for it to really count they have to prove service. The letter sounds so serious that most people sign the form that waives service and pay the fine. I have some experience with this type of infraction and my attorney is a former city prosecutor and current criminal defense attorney. Hey. I always thought Natty by Nature was just a cute spin on words, but really, I am naughty. Oh snap, and it's just before Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmmm. There is no service waiver. But I like where you are going with this . . . . but Washington law might be different than Arizona law.

    I'll check with my attorney on this point. :)

    After he read my blog he thought I might be able to get off on the no lights flashing point. I seriously don't remember lights flashing. But then we checked the video and they are flash flash flashing away as I zoom through at my excessive speed. I must have been deep in thought.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You and Natalie are the main reasons they installed the photo machines. Tell me, over the years how many times have you gotten out of tickets with sweet talking, puppy dog eyes or big crocodile tears? Inquiring minds want to know.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I couldn't agree more, Heather. This isn't the government efficiently enforcing the law in order to protect it's citizens, this is a fleecing of it's citizens. Studies show that photo enforcement doesn't increase safety. I imagine that the trauma of being pulled over by a cop probably does have a positive effect (though I haven't heard any stats on that end of it). Not to mention, a cop gives a ticket to the driver, not the owner of the vehicle.

    The ticket practically states that it's purpose is to fleece rather than see the actual guilty party brought to justice. In this case, your name is assocciated with the car and you were driving it. But it could easily have been Matt or a car theif. The ticket doesn't care. It only cares that it be paid.

    So much for innocent until proven guilty. Fight it. My understanding is that the law governing the use of photo enforcement is border-line illegal as it is. Find an attorney (no, no. a good one) and see what happens. You might win. You'd be famous (locally).

    I could go on and on about how this bothers me on completely other levels but I'll save that until I see you tomorrow. Hope you like Italian.

    ReplyDelete