Friday, January 23, 2009

Me and the Minivan









I'm actually considering leasing a minivan. I've always secretly sworn that I would never get a minivan. To me, it seemed like getting a minivan would be something of a surrender--like resigning to wearing nothing but sweats and putting my hair in a fat scrunchie all day and smelling like applesauce. As a young mom I've wanted to also be a little hip and stylish and it seemed to me that doing something major like driving a minivan would be abandoning that dream altogether.

But lately the tides have been changing, and I find myself not only accepting the possibility of a minivan, but actually wanting one.

First, (and I admit this with some trepidation) when swinging open our doors, my kids have on several occassions whacked the doors of other cars and left dings. I always think that maybe I should leave a note, but I never have. When they aren't actually damaging other people's property, I am worried that they will. It is causing me stress.

Secondly, it is a major pain to load them in and out of our car. I have to hoist them in, or wait for them to hoist themselves and then get smashed by the door while I help them buckle because all three carseats are squeezed into the middle row. We could space it out and put one in the back seat, but then someone would have to climb over the middle row and that's a huge pain. The pain of loading and unloading kids is the biggest factor in my change of heart.

Third, who am I fooling? I might drive an SUV and want everyone to believe we are escaping to the mountains on the weekends to hike around and camp and rock climb and canoe and ski--but it's not happening, and everyone who knows us knows that.

Fourth, fuel efficiency. I think we can do better and save a few dollars every month. And it would be so green of us.

So I started peeking at the minivans online. All of the features and options started to dazzle me, insomuch that I actually started to believe that minivans are cute--that somehow they have evolved out of their blobbishness into something hip and sporty (at least the ones I am considering).

I said this to Matt last night, who in response actually quoted this scripture to me, "Wo unto them who shall call evil good and good evil," and then he added, "or ugly cute and cute ugly."

But even though Matt is adament that minivans are still ugly, he is also being wooed by all of the features, and both of us are starting not to care about the ugly factor. At some point in life one begins to care more about ease and convenience than one's own perception of personal coolness, especially when one realizes that one was never cool to begin with.

So I've narrowed it down to two that I like. Here they are, with the reasons I like them:

Toyota Sienna
The Sienna moved to first on my list just last night. It might just have more of the things that are really important to us.

Why I like it:






  • Power doors that open with a remote



  • Ample cargo space



  • Easy for kids to get in and out of



  • DVD player



  • Available AWD (we need that around here in the winter)



  • Good horsepower



  • Available navigation system (so I can pretend I'll actually spend the extra money and get it)

Why I might not choose it:






  • Not the best fuel economy



  • A bit pricier



  • Still kind of blobbish

Mazda5

Why I like it:
I think this is a very smart car and has been #1 on my list for several weeks.






  • Great fuel economy



  • Great use of space inside the vehicle--storage compartments, seats 6, etc.



  • Easy for kids to get in and out of



  • Totally doesn't look like a minivan. I went to go check it out at the dealership and when I got there I said, "I want to see your minivan." And the guy looked at me blankly. So I said, "The Mazda 5" and he said, "It's not a minivan." (I didn't tell him that all of the online reviewers call it a minivan). And so I could get the secret minivan that has all of the functionality of a minivan, but doesn't actually look like one. When he showed it to me, it really didn't look like a minivan in person. It is cute.



  • Very affordable (We could maybe even afford some of the extras. Can you say navigation system?)



  • Apparently it is fun to drive. Zoom Zoom. (Haven't done the test drive. Waiting for Matt.)



  • I just plain like it.



Why I might not get it:







  • Storage Space. The car really is very smart and the use of space is really good. It would do just fine for my day to day needs, I could even manage a trip to Costco. But for a family trip anywhere we'd have to put the little storage pod on top. Not such a fan of that.



  • No AWD available. We'd have to stay home in the snow. (Maybe this is a pro?)



  • No remote power doors. I really like the idea of pushing a button and having the doors open so my kids could climb in.
So those are the options. The lease on our Honda Pilot expires in a few months, so we need to decide what we are doing next. I'm going to put up a poll so people can vote for their favorite. Also, feel free to comment. I'd love to hear your thoughts on minivans and if we should really take the plunge.

6 comments:

  1. Of the two choices I'd go with the Sienna. You should check out the Honday Odyssey EXL. It has all the great features of a touring, but minus the navigation system. And Coby likes the body style better than the Sienna. I agree that minivans are not sleek, but the convenience with children is my main priority right now. I must have a van with power doors and lift gate. Otherwise what is the point of a minivan? I would just get an SUV or sedan if I have to open the doors myself. I've been researching minivans lately too.

    P.S. There is a naked butt in the Google Ad to my right.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also like the Chrystler Town and Country.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's not a Google ad, it is a nude painting by Edgar Degas, who I love for his paintings of dancers, so I am willing to tolerate the days when the featured painting is of a "naked butt."

    Interesting thoughts. The Odyssey is 3rd on the list. We've been happy with our Pilot and Honda has good service. But the price point is higher and it just seems kind of blah. Not great fuel efficiency. But it will get a test drive.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So you're going to get a BMW. Barb always liked ours, but I must admit I was not much of a fan. The good thing was we could get everyone in it comfortably. Since I have never been cool, that part never bothered me (after all, I still drive a 1995 Dodge pickup truck), but I didn't like the way it handled and it sometimes felt a bit tippy. The new versions, however, that you are looking would be much nicer and safer to drive I think.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think that your being very savvy about choosing. And I think whatever choice you make, it will makes your life so much easier. I love your web sight. You are still going to look cool. Pick out some really cool shades and you won't believe how many Mom's will wave at you! Aunt Anne

    ReplyDelete
  6. Heather, I would definitly go for the Sienna. My SIL has one and you will thank yourself in the long run for the extra space. So good to see your fun blog, hope all is well!

    ReplyDelete